Re: eeschema modular kicad work

On 4 August 2014 17:05, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I pushed an early branch of this work to milestoneB.
>
> See the commit log for some of the details.
>
> The shared_ptr turned out to be a can of worms.  No, several cans of worms, all stacked
> like a 2 miles of dominos.
>
> So I used a single one per LIB_PART according to this link here, and saved us all a lot of
> gray hairs.  This is a very elegant solution which cherry picks not one IOTA more than
> what we needed:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/libs/smart_ptr/sp_techniques.html#weak_without_shared
>

> I pushed this to branch milestoneB and would appreciate some testing help.
>
> There are some TODO items in my section of TODO.txt for this block of work.  Most notable
> is moving the Color loading into the eeschema KIFACE::OnKifaceStart().
>
> Also, the libraries are loaded more often than they should be, I think SCH_EDIT_FRAME
> needs to quit deliberately loading them and simply use the data on demand technique.  You
> can see schematic editor loading libraries even if you load the lib editor first.  This is
> trivial to fix.
>
> I will fix those TODO items along with any bug reports and get 'em done soon.
>
> I also saw a segfault somewhere as I was leaving the room.  Need to track perhaps a couple
> of these down.
>
> All in all, kicad is more modular, and there's lot to like here I think.
>
> Dick

Hi Dick,

Thanks so much for your conitnuing work - it doesn't go unnoticed -
I'm sorry I've not had to time to say thanks more often. In this
commit you fixed something that was on my list - creating a project
from a template was broken in KiCad-Winbuilder. You happened to fix
this in your commit, so I got to cross if off my list! Perfect, well
done with all this work and seeing things like running the module
editor and library editor from KiCad directly is a great example of
what you've been heading towards - I had failed to see what real
advantage we were going to end up with.

Thanks again, take it easy!

Best Regards,

Brian.