Re: Project proposal

On 1 September 2014 10:17, Javier Serrano
<javier.serrano.pareja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
>> I am proposing that we move to a model more like the
>> Linux kernel where there is a merge window for new features followed by
>> a stabilization period.
> [snip]
>
> This looks like a very good plan to me. You can count on our help.
>
>> 3) Documentation
> [snip]
>> There has been a suggestion of moving our documentation to a text base
>> layout format to make it more version control and translation friendly.
>>  I'm all for that.
>
> How is the current documentation effort being handled? Is there a
> separate mailing list for it? I don't recall seeing much documentation
> discussion here. What do the main people involved think about changing
> to a markup text-based format?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Javier

Oh, that quickly reminds me - I had started looking at this here:
https://github.com/BrianSidebotham/KiCAD-Docs-mmd

I think the problem we need to get around if Markdown is chosen as the
markup because of it's simplicity that formatting the size of images
is not really present, and this is why it's hard to get a formatted
PDF document out correctly. However, we all have browsers these days,
perhaps the documentation in html rather than PDF makes more sense
anyway.

For HTML of course, we can use CSS to style the output - there's no
CSS in the above html output.

Best Regards,

Brian.