Re: Edge.Cuts layer in the module editor

Le 02/09/2014 18:57, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
> On 9/1/2014 5:48 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
>> It has been already a few weeks since the GAL module editor has been
>> merged. Among the introduced changes, there is support for Edge.Cuts
>> layer in modules.
>> As I have not received any bug reports related to the feature, does
>> anyone mind if I remove the error message ("This item has an illegal
>> layer id.") that appears when one tries to edit properties of a line
>> located on the Edges.Cuts layer?
>> There was also Lorenzo's proposal to add a toolbar button for changing
>> width settings in the module editor.
>> If noone opposes the changes, I will take care of both.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Orson
>>

> I fine with it.  I think have board edges in footprints makes sense.
>
> Wayne

Orson,
Be careful with Edge.Cuts layer in modules.
If they are not currently allowed, this is because I have a good reason.

In specctra export, and therefore in 3d viewer, we *need* a closed
polygon for board outline.

Currently, yo build this outline, when searching for a Edge.Cuts segment
end near a given segment end, the max distance allowed to find this
segment is very small (currently 2 microns).

It means if you create the board outline and the footprint outline
(and/or place it) using 2 different grids, I am pretty sure you'll have
an issue when searching "connected" segments to build the board outline).

You may have to enhance this search (for instance the max distance could
be related to segments thickness).
see SPECCTRA_DB::fillBOUNDARY().

Otherwise, just allowing Edge.Cuts segments in footprints is just a bug.
This is the only one reason they are not currently allowed.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS