Re: Configuration file relocation.

All,
I had a look at the ~/Library/Preferences, and noted a bunch of files like Adam described.
Apple also use "Quicktime Preferences” for the quicktime settings.
Then Parallels use a directory at that level, and Macromedia does the same thing ( I have a subdir called Flash Player), and a few more dirs under that. Adobe does the same thing with an "Adobe" directory and a subdir “Acrobat”.
So I would not see an issue with a “Kicad” directory here and either preference files under Kicad, or subduers for eeschema, pcbnew, etc..

My $0.02,
Jean-Paul
AC9GH