Re: Edge.Cuts layer in the module editor

On 4 September 2014 10:03, Maciej Sumiński <maciej.suminski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 10:36 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> On 9/3/2014 12:33 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>>> I think we could do it in a similar fashion to EESCHEMA (it's a
>>> more pleasant experience when things work in a similar way) Any
>>> vertexes on the Edge.Cuts layer that do not match *exactly*
>>> should be highlighted with a square centred on the disconnected
>>> vertex(es).
>>>
>>> Secondly, we can apply similar logic to pads being magnetic to
>>> tracks by having Edge.Cuts vertexes being able to snap to
>>> currently off-grid Edge.Cuts vertexes as well as to the grid.
>>>
>>> This way anyone can guarantee they have at least connected all
>>> of their Edge.Cuts drawings. Secondly, part of the DRC check can
>>> also list disconnected Edge.Cuts vertexes - because that should
>>> at least be a warning, if not an error.
>>>
>>> I don't think there's any reason to have disconnected vertexes on
>>> the Edge.Cuts layer is there? Perhaps for drawing a rout line,
>>> but then I draw a rectangle with the correct width of the router
>>> bit I want used so it is less ambiguous.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Brian.
>
> All that sounds good, but demands more work than I initially expected,
> so it may take time. Recently the time that I can devote to KiCad
> development is a bit constrained.
> The PNS router uses its internal model to implement snapping,
> therefore I wonder if it would not be better to delay snapping until
> the current model is upgraded. The rest of proposed changes should be
> possible to implement without any other dependencies.
>
>> Excellent suggestions.  This seems like a reasonable path forward.
>> I really like the snapping idea as an easy way to close the
>> vertices.  I always have to manually go back and use the segment
>> properties to make sure each vertex ends at the same point if I
>> don't get them right the first time.  Should I add this to the road
>> map?  It seems like a good candidate.
>
> Good ideas are worth noting and putting to the plan. That way they
> will not be forgotten.

Hi Guys,

Please put it on the road map and assign my name next to it and I'll
get it done. I don't meant to pile stuff onto other people's plates,
but I think this is the most intuitive way of working when lines must
be continuously connected.

Personally I do not want KiCad inserting segments and attempting to
auto-close anything for me.

If we need to change the data model to expose snap objects then let's
also get that on the road map, or is that already there? I probably
can't take on that sort of work in spare time in the evenings.

Best Regards,

Brian.