Re: Usability test.

On 9/10/2014 10:54 AM, Tim Hutt wrote:
On 10 September 2014 10:25, Javier Serrano <javier.serrano.pareja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

if one accepts the premise that KiCad should be very usable by a new user

I think this is critical. It already looks like some people disagree!
But I think they are just making excuses for Kicad. Even complex
software can be usable for new users.

Yes, it's clearly possible. That is not to say it's the best use of very limited resources.

Usability (the word itself) is frequently used as a euphemism for "newbie friendly". They are NOT the same thing. Conflating the two ideas is, I suppose, valid from the point of view of the folks who are trying to sell proprietary software. It's important (to them) that newbies are not frightened away by the trial version. I think it's far less of a priority for kicad.

If new volunteer developers want to come on board and focus on making kicad more newbie friendly without negatively impacting experienced users that would be just fine. If instead you propose to clutter up the screen with a bunch of non optional talking paper clips or slow down development of real features I think you will meet with considerable resistance.
--
Later,
Jeff