Re: Announcement - Decision needed

Le 20/09/2014 14:39, Kerusey Karyu a écrit :

> All the Polish help docs has been ported/converted to HTML format and
> committed. Now you have to decide to keep, archive or remove their PDF
> editions and ODF sources.

Html format is a good format for documentation, and Kicad now uses html
or pdf help files without any problem.
there are also some free open source multi-platform html editors.

Therefore, I am thinking pdf and odf sources (as long as you do not need
anymore the odt/odf sources) can be removed.

Html can be both the help file for readers and the source files for
translators.

Moreover binary files always create problems to version management
systems (you cannot track changes), and ASCII files are by far preferred.

I also am considering switching to html format for the French
documentation, and removing pdf/odt French translation files.

> By the way. My friend ask me: "Why don't you use a Compiled HTML Help
> (CHM) system? I saw a Linux client for that..."

They are binary files, and we want to remove binary files from the
Launchpad repos.
*All* platforms have html viewer, and not a chm viewer.
Why to search problems?

the only one advantage is (perhaps) a chm document is only one file
instead of many files in html format, but this is a minor advantage for us.

> As a "bonus track" you can take a look at English KiCad Manager doc
> using my style sheet.
> https://github.com/keruseykaryu/kicad-kerusey-doc-html/tree/master/doc/help/en

Looks very good.
May I ask you how you have created/exported these html files?

> Regards
> Kerusey Karyu

Thanks.

--