Re: Need help finding a git mirror for kicad/doc

On 10/5/2014 11:26 PM, Mitch Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Blair Bonnett <blair.bonnett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 6 October 2014 14:33, Mitch Davis <mjd+launchpad.net@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a git mirror for lp:~kicad-developers/kicad/doc?
>>
>> There is now:
>>
>> https://github.com/blairbonnett-mirrors/kicad-doc
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> I just did a git clone.  Under 3 minutes.  I think bzr would still be going...
>
>> NB it is big (~800 MB) as most of the files are stored in binary form. There
>> has been talk about switching to a text-based documentation source.
>> Hopefully when this happens a new repository can be started (freezing the
>> old one to retain the history) so its much smaller to obtain.
>
> Sounds good.  I've been following the debate.  +1 for Sphinx and
> reStructuredText.

Sphinx looks like a reasonable candidate.  It satisfies the criteria of
being available on Linux, Windows, and OSX and there is even a link to
an odt to Sphinx converter.  I did a quick scan of the documentation and
it seems like it provides all the features we would need to create high
quality documentation.  I don't know anything about Sphinx but I do like
the fact that is markdown rather than docbook.  I've never found XML to
be very readable.  I'm depending on the experience of others to make
this documentation conversion happen so all other interested parties
please step forward with comments so that we can get this moving forward.

Wayne