Re: Stable release version numbers.

I agree with all points here, with one exception and one caveat.

The exception is that it will not work well with git (not an issue here).  Git commit IDs are not ordered and trying to use them as versions is a world of pain.  You’ll just have to trust me on that.

The caveat is that if you’re going to use that third place for the commit numbers you have to be certain that you’re never going to need it for a patch release. E.g., 2.1 slips out with that nasty crasher and you need 2.2.1 to fix it.  Otherwise you add a small bit of confusion.  Which is why I suggested the 4th number in my original email, which could accommodate the commit number as suggested here.

Garth