Re: Stable release version numbers.

Le 20/10/2014 17:33, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
> I'm going to comment on everything posted thus far.  I don't have time
> to reply on each individual comment.  I will say that I am not terribly
> thrilled with date style version.  I'm not absolutely sure if it causes
> grief for package management systems such as apt-get or yum.  I'm fine
> with starting at whatever stable release version the next one would be.
>  I believe it would be 3.0.0 or 4.0.0 since I've been with the project
> but JP would know for sure.  Actually we would likely not have minor
> point releases like 3.1.0 because of project policy of not backporting
> features.  The only changes we will make to the stable branch is for
> bugs that cause kicad to crash or loss and/or corruption of data.  The
> only way I see this changing is if we have a huge influx of new
> developers willing to take on that task.  Since we will be providing
> nightly builds of binary installers in the not too distant future, users
> who don't mind bleeding on the edge can help test new features in the
> development branch.  I don't think that is unfair to ask users to help
> contribute to the testing.

I am fine with a bzr rev as version id for the product (testing)
versions, and the major, minor, sub-minor number to identify a stable
version.

Currently:
We could consider the 1.0.0 version is the first kicad version still
available (year 2007) (board files (.brd), 32 layers, 0.1 mil internal unit)
A lot of major enhancements were made over the years, but no disruptive
change.
A major (disruptive) change (2.0.0) is the new .kicad_pcb board file
format (32 layers, 1 nanometer internal unit)
This is the current stable version.

The next major change (3.0.0) is a change of .kicad_pcb board file
format to support more layers (64 layers and more), the fully working
version of P&S router and the fp lib table, and use of plugins to read
GPCB and Eagle footprint files.

therefore the new stable version is 3.0.0, and perhaps 4.0.0 with the
KIWAY version and more python wizards.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS