Re: Incremental build speeds.

There are a lot of dependencies (=timestamps) to be checked, so having
a solid state disk can probably speed up things dramatically.

Also, for incremental re-compile after a make clean, you might want to
look into ccache, that allows to locally cache compiler outputs (not
sure if that is available on Windows proper, but an internet search
suggests as such). ccache speeds up a (make clean ; make) to abot 3:20
minutes. It looks like there is a lot of time wasted in partially
re-building and re-packing the boos library, but I think that is a
separate discussion (apparently it makes sense on some systems)

Compiling things in parallel is always a good idea, and as others
pointed out, the -j option is good for that. In my case, I just set
the environment variable
MAKEFLAGS to '-j6' to make sure I never forget that.

(FWIW, just typing 'make' on an already build KiCAD (I think this is
what you are doing) takes about 3.6 seconds on my ~3 year old Linux
machine (4 core i5 2500k, probably similar to yours) - I do have a
solid state disk, but can't compare what difference that makes)

The rest of the differences might be just Linux/Windows differences,
but you can only really tell if you do the same on your Linux
partition and compare.