Re: new documentation format

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 05:57:22PM +0200, Kerusey Karyu wrote:
> To: kicad-developers
> From: Marco Ciampa
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:58:17 +0200
>
> > If you have any doubt or problem about anything please
> > express yourself.
> >

> I consider that the use of formats to create documentation using
> translations in the form of translation database (.po files) will,
> despite the many advantages, also some disadvantages for translators.
>
> While the use of such forms of translations for the UI is quite
> comfortable, the use of that form for translating a continuous text
> (which is result of the train of thoughts) can be very uncomfortable
> for translators.
>
> Why? The main difficulty will be limited visibility of the logic of the
> text and its layout (indentation, spacing). There will be situations
> where we will need to translate a fragment out of context. I as a
> translator prefer also see more of the text to be able to, among
> others, eliminate repetition of words and the use of synonyms. My
> native language is very flexible in this topic.
>
> Taking also the specificity of translated texts, unfortunately, it is
> in so many cases impossible to translate word for word. Sometimes you
> have to break down complex sentence into two (or even three) sentences
> that the reader can easily assimilate them.
> By translating KiCad user manual I had to just do that many times.
> Sometimes adding something from each other to avoid ambiguity.
>
> So. That’s my (maybe wrong) doubts.

Good point but I think that it is more a theoretical problem than a real
one since such tools such as po4a, xml2po, etc. do not break paragraphs
and in fact aggregate contiguous paragraphs. See for example the GIMP
manual that is actually translated in these languages: Catalá, Dansk,
Deutsch, English, Español, Ελληνικά (Greek) Français, Italiano,
日本語(Japanese), 한국어(Korean) Nederlands, Norwegian, Português,
Pусский, Slovenščina Svenska, 中文 (Chinese). A manual of about 800 pages
long. That kind of problem, for what I may know, never arised.

I hope I have unraveled some doubt.

--

Marco Ciampa

| Linux User  #78271 |