Re: new documentation format

On 25 October 2014 15:52, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marco,
>
> Great work on the conversion analysis.  I finally go around to testing
> this and I have to say that I prefer the asciidoc format better than the
> markdown and rst formats for plain text readability.  I also could not
> convert the asciidoc format to pdf using your example.  I always get an
> error about dblatex failing even though I have it installed on my Debian
> partition.  None of the section headers or table of contents were
> converted so there would obviously be some hand work involved.  That's
> not a big deal for the cvpcb documentation but for all of the
> documentation there is a lot of work to do.  Windows support is iffy.
> Even though MSYS2 has an asciidoc package, the optional bits to create
> pdfs is missing so that is an issue.
>
> I guess the next steps are:
>
> * Make the final decision on the format.
> * Pick a VCS and a host server.  Obvious choices are bzr/launchpad
>   and git/github.
> * Convert all of the documentation over to asciidoc.
> * Write CMake build configuration support to handle dependency
>   checking, out building, translation file creation, and installation.
> * Create initial repo and let the document fixing begin.
>
> Any volunteers?
>
> Wayne

As I was pushing for us to make this move, and as I use asciidoc
almost everyday for documenting projects at work, you can count on me
to provide some horsepower.

We should decide on our output format too. I was thinking we'd
probably move to HTML output rather than PDF, but either is really
okay with me.

Best Regards,

Brian.