Re: new documentation format

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 10:52:54AM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> Marco,
>
> Great work on the conversion analysis.  I finally go around to testing
> this and I have to say that I prefer the asciidoc format better than the
> markdown and rst formats for plain text readability.

Almost everyone does it but please consider that readability is not the
most important factor. As I said many people use rest because of sphinx.
Please consider that sphinx integrate a search javascript function into
the html generated, although maybe not so important.

> I also could not convert the asciidoc format to pdf using your example.
> I always get an error about dblatex failing even though I have it
> installed on my Debian partition.

I use Ubuntu 14.04. Maybe Debian asciidoc or dblatex packages are bit
older?

1. Please print the output error strings eventually augmenting verbosity.
2. try -L or  --no-xmllint option, to disable xmllint check for sometimes
xmmlint is too picky
3. try using asciidoctor to convert into xml first, exec a2x with -n or
--dry-run to see the command line it execs to try to do it manually
substituting ascidoc with asciidoctor

TIA

>  None of the section headers or table of contents were
> converted so there would obviously be some hand work involved.  That's
> not a big deal for the cvpcb documentation but for all of the
> documentation there is a lot of work to do.  Windows support is iffy.
> Even though MSYS2 has an asciidoc package, the optional bits to create
> pdfs is missing so that is an issue.
>
> I guess the next steps are:
>
> * Make the final decision on the format.

ok

> * Pick a VCS and a host server.  Obvious choices are bzr/launchpad
>   and git/github.

I am for git...

> * Convert all of the documentation over to asciidoc.

I can do it... no problem.

> * Write CMake build configuration support to handle dependency
>   checking, out building, translation file creation, and installation.

I do not know cmake at all

> * Create initial repo and let the document fixing begin.

ok

> Any volunteers?

Count on me of course.

--