Re: problems running kicad-install.sh

On 29 October 2014 12:18, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 4:51 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 10:59:20PM -0700, Jake wrote:
>> [...]
>>> So i deleted the folder entirely with rm -rf ~/kicad_sources/kicad-lib.bzr/
>>>
>>> and when i ran the script again, now it seems to be working.
>>>
>>> i don't know anything about how bzr works, i am just competent with
>>> git, so hopefully some bash scripting and bzr experts can think of a
>>> way to restructure the install script to more consistently deal with
>>> incomplete installations.  I think that a less intrepid user than me
>>> (imagine!) would either have to delete all of ~/kicad_sources and
>>> start over, or give up entirely.
>>>
>>> please let me know if i should post this problem in the bugtracker
>>> or something else to make it easier to deal with, or if i have done
>>> it right.
>>
>> Bazaar is virtually dead. Its userbase decrease day by day.
>> There are some bugs in it that presumably will never be fixed.
>>
>> For example, and this seems to be this case, if you stop a "bzr up"
>> command abruptly, chances are that it will not be able to recover by
>> himself, and you have to delete all and restart downloading afresh.
>>
>> I keep on thinking that a git migration of all kicad project repos should
>> be considered for sometime in the (near?) future...
>
> Not until after the next stable release.  Then we can discuss the matter
> further.  I personally don't have a preference other than I don't want
> to be guy that has to do all of the work.  I was around when we made the
> switch from subversion/sourceforge to bazaar/launchpad.  It was not a
> trivial amount of work.

Also, this work is now compounded by the amount of bzr used during the
build process in general. Several repos are created on-the-fly and
patched and so on and so forth.

I like git and particularly git patchsets for linux kernel work. I
dislike git in most other circumstances as it just appears to
obfuscate standard version control features in my opinion. However,
that could be down to lack of experience with it really.

Github however is something I really like.

Best Regards,

Brian.