Re: Global Search Paths and fp-lib-table Entries?

On 03.11.2014, at 14:53, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/3/2014 3:22 AM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Bernhard Stegmaier
>>    In general, is there anywhere a list of “supplemental” files
>>    (libraries, 3d-models, footprints, various kinds of templates,
>>    scripts, xml-Files for BOM, etc.) and where they should be located?
>
> base_search_path/share/kicad/library => Schematic component libraries.
> base_search_path/share/kicad/module => Pcb footprint libraries.
> base_search_path/share/kicad/module/packages3d => 3D models libraries.
> base_search_path/share/kicad/template => project templates.

Well, from the previous discussion it is *not* correct for
> base_search_path/share/kicad/module => Pcb footprint libraries.

That’s where all that started for me, because I tried it just like you have written above (without any environment variables which are quite some pain to set correctly on OSX) and it did work for everything but pcb footprints.

Anyway, thanks to all.
I now know that eeschema will use old search stack while pcbnew won’t (except for the one special case when $KISYS3DMOD is not defined).

It is not very nice and/or consistent, but hey, that’s how it is at the moment and as long as it works…
I’ll try to write it down tailored to OSX paths so that Adam can put it to the readme for the OSX bundles.
Hopefully this eliminates some problems for new users then (looking at the user ML this seems to be one of the all-time top 5 questions…).

Regards,
Bernhard

PS: Yes, I know the github plugin and no, I won’t use it. I want to have my own local library and footprints of parts that I normally use and not hundreds of other parts I don’t use. Of course, I am happy if I don’t have to draw everything from scratch but just can grab things I need from somewhere.  And, I only didn’t convert my legacy footprints to .pretty because I didn’t have to up to now...