Re: emacs switches to Git

On 11/12/2014 9:52 AM, Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> On 12/11/14 14:28, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:> On 11/12/2014 9:01 AM, Mark
> Roszko wrote:
> At that
>>  Kicad has been
>> hosted on launchpad for the last 6 years, the amount of accumulated
>> information outside of the source will be significantly more that the
>> last transition.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand why a VCS move would entail
> a move away from launchpad. In my mind the mailing list, the website,
> the wiki etc. are completely different things.
>
> The project wiki is already a separate entity on confluence to
> everything else.
>
> Also I would gently urge others not to FUD this issue, because moving
> really wouldn't be that big a deal.

My experience dealing with the original issues is *not* FUD.  These were
actual issues the I had to deal with.  Not something I made up in my
head or that I am using to control the project.  I've already commented
that the move to git makes sense, but not until after the stable
release.  We have too many other pressing issues to resolve for the
stable release to add another variable into the mix.

>> I consider hosting as important as the chosen vcs.  Using a hosting site
>> based on non-free software may be risky.  Anyone remember the
>> kernel/bitkeeper fiasco?  I'm not sure we have the manpower or technical
>> expertise to host our own git repo.
>
> I think that's rather overblown. At sigrok.org, we have a VPM hosting

Sorry you feel that way but ignoring risks does not mean they do not
exist.  It is foolish to think that it can't happen.  Maybe it hasn't
happened to you yet so you have no reference to draw upon.  I'm drawing
from personal experience.

> gitlite + cgit repo viewer
> bugzilla
> mediawiki
> mailman
>
> on Debian Stable
>
> ...nothing fancy, but it works and works well! and requires next to no
> work to maintain. Certainly wouldn't take the average linux user more
> than half a day to set all that up.
>
> But like I say, I'm only talking about the VCS. And the reason I'm
> talking about the VCS is that there's a mass exodus from this particular
> one, which won't do the project any favours.

If I thought for a second that a large number of our primary developers
were going to exit the project because we weren't using git, then I
would pull the trigger right now.  I seriously doubt that bzr is much of
a sticking point for most developers.  If this is not the case (all you
primary developers and you know who you are), please let me know so I
can make an informed decision.

Wayne