Re: Trapezoidal pads and planes.

On 11/26/2014 01:16 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
Le 26/11/2014 18:43, Nick Østergaard a écrit :
This is indeed an annoyting bug, it has existed since 2009 at least.
There is already a bug report about it. See:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1035621
Sorry, but I already said why a trapezoidal pad is designed.

The fact an user is thinking something is not expected is not a proof of
a bug.
I do follow you, but I still thought it was worth linking this thread
with the bug report.

Trapezoidal pads have a very specific purpose.
I am pretty sure a copper zone around tracks in a microwave design
breaks the design.
Indeed, IIRC this special behaivour of the trapez pad is not described
in the manual, so one could only assume it was a bug.

On top of my head I can not come up with a design that requires a
trapez pad instead of an oval, rectangular or circular pad. Maybe
wayse could fill in, since he has them in his design.

As the system frequency gets higher, board traces begin to act like
transmission lines.

Trapezoidal pads use transmission line theory.

So :
First, define the purpose of trapezoidal pads.
After, and depending on this purpose, decide if thermal reliefs are good
or not.

Nick