Re: Trapezoidal pads and planes.

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I agree that a the trapezoidal pad is seldom used for most circuits and this feature isn't important. However, commercial tools like Altium Designer or Mentor Expedition support custom pad shapes, there is a lot of freedom for the pad geometry (any polygonal shape). Have a look here, how Altium does this:

http://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH/Creating+a+Custom+Pad+Shape

For custom shapes, you have to define there polygon connection points - see the section "Thermal Connections for Custom Pads".

--

About the discontinuities: I've used a few years ago the RF package of Mentor Expedition, there you can create tapered striplines for these purposes. And of course the copper fill follows these shapes.

You can find on youtube a good video about a typical RF design process; have a look here (RF Design with Expedition PCB):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaeOii1rLN0

Bye,
Torsten

PS: The mailing list does not like HTML, so I've send it again as text, sorry.