Re: What is the new 'margin' layer?

> Le 02/07/2014 14:10, Lorenzo Marcantonio a écrit :
>> At least I got pcbnew compiled :P luckily the new design wasn't too much
>> incompatible with mine so probably I'll fix my old files with some
>> search and replace...
>>
>> What is for this new layer I see? the tooltip says "board's edge setback
>> outline"... is that a kind of new technical layer for drc or what?
>
> This is a keep out layer.
> Currently an user can place keepout areas only on a given copper layer.
>
> Margin layer is a global keep out which will accept zones and lines (but
> no text).
> The first use is to define keep out areas near board outline.
> the keep out can differ from board outline, mainly for edge board
> connectors.

How does one use this? I see it supports zones and graphic elements,
but do these set any constraint on anything, or is this just a visual
layer?

It does not seem to restrict zone fille or a footprint inside a Margin
layer zone.

I was thinking weather or not this is supposed to be used as the
keepout layer from eagle. An example use is seen on the "standard"
boards from dangerousprototypes.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Sick_of_Beige_standard_PCB_sizes_v1.0
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/08/08/how-to-eagle-keepout-and-restrict-layers/