Re: KiCad Usability

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM, David Perrenoud
<david.perrenoud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On the CERN roadmap there is as an item saying “Study ergonomics of various
> commercial/proprietary PCB applications”. In order to contribute to this, I
> have put on Dropbox some screenshots of the making of an overly simple
> circuit in Altium, DipTrace, Eagle, Fritzing, KiCad and some random images
> of the future Circuit Maker from Altium. These screenshots can serve as a
> basis for future usability improvements:
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaju73itwzo1bwp/AAAIBPxdBOzwIKvZvHzhvbCta?dl=0
> For further discussions, should I continue here or create Launchpad bugs or
> blueprints? And is there a usability team I can join (especially for this
> “wxPython based project manager”)?

Hello David,

The CERN roadmap is only useful insofar as it generates ideas which
then can be taken on by KiCad management and included in the official
roadmap [1]. I think most of the efforts in the coming months are
going to be in areas for which there are clear objectives for the
stable release. I'd like to ask others, Wayne in particular, what
their position is on opening up this work package now, even if it is
in principle not material for the next stable release (unless I
misunderstood something). I can already answer one of your questions
though: there is no "usability team" I am aware of, and I think at
some point it would be good for KiCad to have one. Irrespectively of
what one calls it and the definition of its scope (there was some
debate about it in the past) I think it would be good to have people
looking at KiCad with a critical eye and suggesting ways to make the
user experience -- even :) -- more pleasurable.

Cheers,

Javier

[1] http://ci.kicad-pcb.org/job/kicad-doxygen/ws/Documentation/doxygen/html/md_Documentation_development_road-map.html