Re: Origin for Gerber plots

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Thiadmer Riemersma <thiadmer.riemersma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Andy,
>
> When plotting the Gerbers and making the drill file, did you also specify to use the "auxiliary axis"? This must be checked to have the Gerber and drill file coordinates relative to the coordinates.

Ohhhhhh, duh! So _that's_ what that option does. User error. Sorry. Thanks for pointing this out!

This has to be set in both the Gerber output and the drill output.

Is it reasonable to ask why this aux origin is not the default for fab outputs? I use Altium extensively at the day job, and it has no notion of a page size or page origin. You just set the design origin to something reasonable and that's that.

> On your second question, I advise to download and install GC-Preview. This is a Gerber viewer that is often regarded as a "de facto" standard: if GC-Prevue shows your Gerbers and drill file well-aligned, you you can send them off without worries.

It was GC Prevue that showed that the origin in my Gerbers was not what I expected.

Thanks again.

-a