Re: file version compatibility (optional tokens in s-expression files)

>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 07:20:42PM +0100, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
>>> The problem is that adding any new token to the file format causes all
>>> precedent versions of pcbnew to drop an error attempting to load the
>>> file. I would propose two solutions to overcome this:
>>
>> AFAIK the current policy in kicad is simply to force to upgrade :D
>
> Which is bad, if we want to distribute stable releases and some OS do
> not update straight away.

Which is easy to handle if the file tells the minimum version. Then
there should just be a check if the kicad that reads is new enough,
and it can tell you to update. This will remove the fatal failure, and
we don't have to support older versions in a simple way. IMHO.