Re: file version compatibility (optional tokens in s-expression files)

I really like the idea of opening newer files as read only, that will
force the user to do a conscious decision to save with data loss, and
would practically eliminate the issues of accidental data loss. Also
it would accommodate the issue of people using different versions
being able to "check out" the files made in a newer version, say, look
at some schematics made by someone else with another version in a
school computer (which you don't have permission to upgrade software)
degrading in a moreless graceful way. It would be also nice to be able
to do the information loss step in the "future" version, (ie "save as
x stable version format" like in microsoft word/libreoffice et al.),
so that you don't need to have multiple versions of kicad installed to
be able to collaborate with people using older versions (or submitting
work to places that require X version). It would really suck if you
took your file home from school, did a couple edits in your newer
version and then it wouldn't open (properly) in the school computer.