eeschema Preferences

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how eeschema gets its preferences (i.e., libraries and library path) on a completely fresh machine that has never seen KiCad before.

From the code, I guess it should find a kicad.pro in the default search paths eeschema still uses and shall copy it to some location (common/project.cpp, PROJECT::configCreate):
    // No suitable pro file was found, either does not exist, or not readable.
    // Use the template kicad.pro file.  Find it by using caller's SEARCH_STACK.
    copy_pro_file_template( aSList, cur_pro_fn );
    …
If I am right then cur_pro_fn is always an empty string (default parameter from definition), so copy_pro_file_template just does nothing.
Then, some default wxFileConfig seems to be created.

If I start eeschema on a fresh OS X and add some libraries it seems to creates a file
  ~/Library/Preferences/eeschema Preferences
which looks like a kicad.pro file and has the usual stuff in it (with the added libraries).
I don’t know who sets this name “eeschema Preferences”.
I didn’t find anything in KiCad and assume it is done by wxWidgets wxFileConfig.

First, it is bad that this “eeschema Preferences” file is not in ~/Library/Preferences/kicad where all other KiCad configs are.
Second, with my previous installs some kicad.pro file was used, which now doesn’t work any longer (I tried putting it in various paths of the search stack).

So, how is initial eeschema preferences supposed to be created and where?
I haven’t set any environment variables for KiCad.

Regards,
Bernhard

Follow ups