Re: [RFC] Footprint wizard

Le 20/03/2015 11:45, Tomasz Wlostowski a écrit :
> On 20.03.2015 11:37, jp charras wrote:
>> Le 20/03/2015 10:31, Miguel Ángel Ajo a écrit :
>>> Wow, nice work!
>>>
>>> jp, maciej, what do you think about renaming this to Library Wizard? or something equivalent?
>>>
>>> I believe it’s a bit confusing since the scripting footprint wizard has the same name, and
>>> they are for totally different things.
>>>
>>> We could also change the scripting footprint wizard to “Automated Footprint Builder” or something
>>> like that..
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Miguel Ángel.
>>>

>>> Miguel Ángel Ajo
>>>

>> Yes it is confusing and fp wizard in not a good name.
>>
>> I also prefer Library Wizard or Library Manager Wizard
>>

> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> I would also propose to add the wizard directly in the Preferences menu
> and call it something like "Add Library Wizard", so that the first-time
> users can easily find it (IMHO the button "Add through wizard" in the
> Lib Table dialog is not very visible).
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

First, I quickly tested your last patch. It works fine now.
Thanks.

Yes, something like "Library Wizard" directly in prefs menu is good idea.

Especially if it is also able to download .pretty and .3dshapes
libraries (to add libs and/or maintain them).

I am insisting about this feature (which was existing for .pretty libs
in the first wizard).

My reasons:

The full set of files in .pretty and .3dshapes is now very large and
often updated and issues quickly fixed (thanks the the library team guys
who make a hard work).
If, in Kicad, there is a very easy way to download and copy them
locally, the Kicad distribution does need anymore to contain these files.
Just including something like only one lib like demo.kicad_mod and the
corresponding demo.3dshapes is enough in distribution.
If the full set of libraries is not included in the package, many issues
will be removed, namely:
- overwriting existing libs by new libs.
- The distribution file could be smaller (libs are more than 50% of the
size of compressed distribution file)
- and, trust me, remove a lot of mistakes when building the distrib file.

Ultimately, schematic library files could be removed from the kicad
distribution file when such a way to download them exists.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS