Re: [RFC] Footprint wizard

On 3/20/2015 9:40 AM, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 01:00:19PM +0100, jp charras wrote:
>> If the full set of libraries is not included in the package, many issues
>> will be removed, namely:
>> - overwriting existing libs by new libs.
>> - The distribution file could be smaller (libs are more than 50% of the
>> size of compressed distribution file)
>> - and, trust me, remove a lot of mistakes when building the distrib file.
>>
>> Ultimately, schematic library files could be removed from the kicad
>> distribution file when such a way to download them exists.
>
> I have proposed something similar for docs but received no feedback.
>
> I though it was a good idea...

I would prefer packaging the binaries, libraries, and documentation into
separate packages but it's not always possible depending on the
platform.  I proposed this to the msys2 folks when I created the
PKGBUILD file for kicad and I was told not to break it into separate
packages.  Most Debian based distros are package them separately so it's
not always up to us how thing things get distributed.