Environment variable conundrum.

I'm getting close to finishing up the environment variable editing
dialog and I'm struggling with the best option to set variables that
have already been define outside the currently running process.  Here
are the options that I see:

1) Set all environment variables to the values defined in the dialog
when the user dismisses the dialog by the OK button.  The is will most
likely be the expected behavior by most users.  The only issue I see is
that by design kicad ignores any environment variables that are already
defined when it is launched so users may get confused by the fact that
the value they set in the dialog is ignored the next time they launch
kicad.  Granted, this not likely to happen since most new users will not
externally set environment variables but it could if the accidentally
use a variable name that is already in use.

2) Only set environment variables that are not already externally
defined.  This may be confusing if a user doesn't know that a given
environment variable is already set externally.

Personally I'm leaning towards #1 since most users will not externally
define environment variables and developers should know better since
this behavior was designed specifically to make their life easier.  Any
one have any thoughts on this before I finish up the code?

Thanks,