Re: 3d-viewer future discussion

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Nick Østergaard <oe.nick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> As a user, I'm pretty happy with 3d-viewer, its good enough for most of
>>> our marketing purposes.
>>> Eg.: https://github.com/mrkindustries/openPSU
>>>
>>> IMO, pcbnew should be able to export a STEP 3D model of the board, the
>>> mechanical integration is done with freecad or solidworks and the proper way
>>> to do so is a STEP instead of the VRML format.
>>> If I want a proper analisys I have to replicate the boards in the 3D CAD
>>> by hand instead of just exporting it.
>>

>> You can just use the IDF exporter to get a more CAD friendly PCB.
>

> Thanks, I didn't try it, its very useful.
>
> Is there a way to include the components models or it has to be done
> manually?

The IDF format is a more simplistic format for exchanging PCB and
component information to MCAD. It does not use the VRML models to
generate a 3D model, but needs some other shapes to make extrustions
from. See https://github.com/ciampix/kicad-doc/blob/master/src/asciidoc/IDF_Exporter/IDF_Exporter.adoc