Re: More than 26 units in a symbol

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 07:50:45PM -0400, Carl Poirier wrote:
> Hi peeps,
>
> KiCad doesn't seem to have a great nomenclature for the units above 26. Let
> me quote Alex Forencich who is working on Xilinx FPGA
> <https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-library/pull/149>:
>
> > XC5VTX240T-FF1759 in the virtex 5 library has exactly 27 symbols. It goes
> A through Z and then [.
>
> Would it be possible to make it something like "AA" ?

Could be a (little) problem due the way eeschema (at least at one time)
'desconstructed' the designator (i.e. simply took off the last
character). Maybe when the other subdesignator styles where added it
changed. Nothing particularily difficult to handle in any case.

While we are on it, for the new library format, I'd like to have custom
sub-designators for fixed part components. The problem is that while you
go U1A, U1B, U1C, U1D for IC and stuff, for relays (just an example) you
*should* use K1, K1-1, K1-2, K1-3 (first one is coil, following are
contacts). Of course K1A, K1B, K1C works as well but that's not quite
correct:P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl