Re: hard crash with pcbnew

As long as you are not (re-) building on your own you can update whatever you like without affecting KiCad.
All the dependencies that KiCad uses are contained in the application container and won’t be changed by any “external” update (as long as you are using the stock build mechanism).

Regards,
Bernhard