eeschema hiding references with hash prefix

Is there any real, important reason eeschema likes to go through and re-hide references to which a # has been prefixed? As far as I know, this is done to ensure power symbols don't have a visible reference, but those can be hidden from libedit anyway. It's a bit annoying - I have a sheet which is used twice in a project, but I needed to omit one specific component from just one instance of the sheet, so I added the # on that one (since references are unique to sheet instances). It works perfectly, except that eeschema insists on re-hiding it at some point (as well as, of course, the non-prefixed one on the other sheet).

It's sensible that these shouldn't be visible by default, but why go hiding them if they've been explicitly made visible?

--
Chris

Follow ups