Re: 3D Scale settings

That looks good to me and it will also be extremely useful
for all other types of 3D models (currently only IDF but
IGES is in development).  This would require a change in
the file format, specifically the addition of a unit type in the
3D model section, and I think such a change is best done
before the stable release so that people who adopt the
stable release aren't bitten by a pcbnew file format change
later.

I would use radio buttons rather than normal buttons and
perhaps change that unit to "0.1 inch" to serve the existing
models or even consider 3 sets of units: mm, in, 0.1in.

- Cirilo

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> On 1 June 2015 at 10:46, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 31 May 2015 at 23:25, Cirilo Bernardo <cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >> Hi Brian,
> >>
> >>  I suggest we leave the scaling etc until after the stable release;
> it's a
> >> nightmare.
> >>
> >>  Historically the scaling allowed users to reuse similar models if they
> >> didn't already
> >> have a suitable model, for example grow or shrink a THT 0.25W resistor
> >> pretend
> >> it's a 0.5/1.0/2.0W type or a small glass-encapsulated diode. I think
> with
> >> the
> >> currently available tools and numerous models there is no need to
> support
> >> this
> >> intended behavior and the GUI should only have a Z rotation and a Z
> offset;
> >> remove all ambiguity we do need to specify the units of the Z offset.
> >
> > Changing  the way scaling works is not on the table here. Only a
> > user-helper which is to fill in the pre-existing scale UI with values
> > that are awkward to work out for a normal user (and laborious to type
> > for everyone). That's all I'm proposing - as well as a documentation
> > update.
> >

> Like this:
>

> ​

PNG image