Re: Scripting

I can't do more than agree, and this is why (very slowly) I'm working on this:

https://github.com/kicad/kicad-python

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-python/blob/master/doc/source/index.rst

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-python/blob/master/kicad/pcbnew/board.py

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-python/blob/master/tests/unit/pcbnew/test_pcbnew_board.py

This is a work that Piers Titus van der Torren started, and that I perverted a bit to add documentation, testing, and trying to keep uniformity across all object interfaces.

If you want to contribute, it can be done via pull requests to the main repository,
those are automatically checked by CI, and reported back to github.

I haven't wrote any rules yet, but I really believe we should:

1) Document as we code
2) Write unit tests as we code

So we avoid regressions and provide a very consistent API for the users, where
we can detect regressions or any issues.

Chris Pavlina wrote:

wrt scripting and SWIG - SWIG's good for generating a low-level wrapper,
but if we'd like scripting to go anywhere, I really think we should come
up with a more scripting-friendly API and high-level wrapper. Something
with more proper iterables, fewer integer enums, fewer getters and
setters, objects that are fully and usefully introspectable at the
console, etc. Fewer things like this scattered about:

http://ci.kicad-pcb.org/job/kicad-doxygen/ws/build/pcbnew/doxygen-python/html/classpcbnew_1_1MODULE.html#a549dccf2a9eecffa83f76cfe8d1a7d19

Anyone else interested in seeing scripting improve? I'd be willing to
contribute to this.