Re: eeschema cmp-[back] button obsolete ?

Yes, hitting the save button in CvPcb sends a KiwayExpress message to
Eeschema with the footprint assignments.

The back import button has to remain for legacy designs and users who
don't import the .cmp file into the schematic and use the s-expr netlist
to load footprints in Pcbnew.  It can also be used to back import
footprint changes made in Pcbnew.

We could consider moving it to a less used menu but for short term while
users are busy back importing their .cmp files, leaving it on the
toolbar is probably best.