Re: PATCH: better annotation dialog checkbox messaging

On 22 June 2015 at 08:42, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/20/2015 4:38 PM, Henner Zeller wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The checkbox labels in the annotation dialog are hard to understand
>> because they are passive voice and not very clear (What does 'Silent
>> mode' mean ?).
>> Also, the default for the 'Automatically close dialog' (which is
>> false) doesn't really make sense in regluar work. So I changed it.
>>
>> Patch
>> https://github.com/hzeller/kicad/compare/better-annotation-dialog-checkbox-messaging.diff
>>
>> Suggested commit message:
>> ---------------
>> Change messaging in Dialog checkbox labelling in Annotation dialog
>> to more easily digestable active speech
>>    - 'Silent mode' -> 'Always ask for confirmation'. Default on
>>      (Same behavior as before, though arguably, it is very annoying and
>>      should probably be default off)
>>    - 'Automatically close dialog' -> 'Keep this dialog open'
>>      Also changed the default to _not_ keep the dialog open (what is
>>      keeping it open even be useful for ?)
>> ------------
>>
>> (I wonder, is there ever a reason to keep the annotation dialog open ?
>> This only really makes sense if this is a non-modal dialog).
>
> I don't understand why the annotation dialog would stay open as opposed
> to any other modal dialog.

Exactly, this is why I made the change.

>  The annotate button should perform the
> annotation and close the dialog box.  I would have no problem with that
> change.

I can't think of a reason why the user should want to keep the dialog
open at all (maybe there were historical reasons ? - someone on the
mailing list might know).
Are there ever non-modal invocations of this dialog ?

If there are no such reasons, I think the next step is to get rid of
this option entirely.

-h