Re: cvpcb netlist behavior

On 26 June 2015 at 07:29, jp charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 26/06/2015 16:14, Chris Pavlina a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Lately I've noticed a whole bunch of people coming into the IRC channel
>> confused by the new behavior of cvpcb. Since it now pushes changes back
>> to eeschema instead of writing a file, there is an extra step: you have
>> to go back into eeschema and export the netlist again. A lot of people
>> are seeing the "Cannot add new component due to missing footprint"
>> messages and thinking there's a bug.
>>
>> Any chance of adjusting this behavior before the release to stop the
>> confusion? Perhaps cvpcb could trigger a netlist write on save, or maybe
>> pcbnew could use kiway to see the update footprints and pull them in /
>> warn about them.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>
> What do you mean by
> "you have to go back into eeschema and export the netlist again"
>
> You have to export the netlist only once.
> Cvpcb do not use the current netlist, and when closing it, you are in
> Eeschema.

Well, previously, people just wrote the *.cmp file, went to pcbnew,
imported that and were happy.

Now, the footprint associations are in the net file, so they have to
export a fresh netfile and import that in pcbnew. That is the
additional step.

So I think making it simpler (or automatically trigger) to export a
netlist would be good in that case.

-h