Re: Zoom vs Help

Le 01/07/2015 02:37, Simon Richter a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried to get context sensitive help using the F1 key, and
> found that instead it zoomed in.
>
> The menu claims that the hotkey for zooming in is Alt-F1, while the
> hotkey list accessible with the '?' key lists F1 without qualifiers.
>
> On Mac, Ctrl-'+' is used instead, which is fairly common in PC software
> as well these days (IE and Firefox, for example).
>
> Would it make sense to offer Ctrl-'+' and Ctrl-'-' on all platforms?
>
> Would it make sense to reserve F1 for context help?
>
>    Simon

Why to change?

You can use Ctrl+F1 for help.

Zooming is more frequently used than help, therefore using one key to
zoom and 2 keys to call help is not bad. This is a basic optimization.

For zoom, Alt-F1 and F1 are *not* equivalent.
This is a remark which was made many times.

F1 centers the screen to the mouse cursor, Alt-F1 does not.

To be able to use the same key, you have to find a reliable way to know
if a command comes from an accelerator key (you can use the mouse cursor
position) or a menu activation (you cannot uses this position).
(I do not yet found this way)

There are many other commands like that.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS