Re: Stable release

> This week did not go as planned.  I was ready to pull the trigger on the
> stable branch yesterday when the 3D viewer crash report came in.  I
> would like to get that addressed before I create the stable branch.
> Once this fix is committed, I will create a stable branch (4.0.0-rc1)
> for testing.  This means no new features (except possibly Tom's Eeschema
> to Pcbnew update patch) until after the stable release.  We will
> continue to apply bug fixes to the product branch so the autobuilders
> can be used for testing.  I will periodically merge the fixes into the
> stable release branch until it's ready for prime time.
>
> I just committed a change in how the build version string is generated
> which should fix the long standing issue of the bzr version not getting
> updated automatically without running `make rebuild_cache`.  I also
> added the ability to define the version string during CMake
> configuration which will allow packagers to define the appropriate
> version string for stable release builds.  Configuring CMake like this:
>
> cmake -DKICAD_BUILD_VERSION="4.0.0-rc1" -DKICAD_REPO_NAME="stable"
>
> will result in a build string of:
>
> 4.0.0-rc1-stable

Will you update the documenation in
Documentation/compiling/build-config.txt on this?

> I've only tested this on windows so please let me know if you find any
> issues on other platforms.  For those of you who are using the msys2
> package builder file PKGBUILD to build kicad, please note that the msys2
> version of bzr is broken and will fail attempting to determine the bzr
> version.  Please comment out the bzr source build dependency in PKGBUILD
> and use one of the native bzr windows installers instead.  Make sure to
> add the bzr executable to your system path so CMake can find it during
> configuration.  I will remove it from the PKGBUILD file and send a pull
> request to the msys2 devs when I get a chance.

The PKGBUILD I am using is using git, because that is what the initial
PKGBUILD was based upon, and git has proven much easier to work with
in this regard too... bzr is very slow.

With this I am currently patching the version string to calculate BZR
version string and also list the short git commit hash.

Are you interested in merging this patch by now?  It will also help
other people using git to build with.  I guess I will have to apply
the new logic from CreateBzrVersionHeader.cmake to my
CreateGitVersionHeader.cmake.