Re: PCBnew file format compatibility (translated layer names again...)

On 7/16/2015 1:40 PM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 01:37:02PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> On 7/16/2015 11:17 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> We've received a question from another disappointed user, who is trying
>>> to read a .kicad_pcb file with translated layer names. For the moment
>>> the only way to fix this is by hand-editing the file.
>>
>> I do not believe this is entirely true.  AFAIK, using the previous
>> stable version, you should be able to open the board and temporarily set
>> the language to English and save the board which should set the layer
>> names in the board file back to the default English translations.
>
> Do you really think that is an acceptable solution? Nobody is going to
> know to do that!

I don't think asking the user to do something as simple as opening a
board in Pcbnew, and selecting Preferences->Language->English and
hitting the save button is unacceptable.  It's not ideal but neither is
making a mess out of a fairly clean piece of code to fix a poor design
decision made long ago.  This issue hasn't reared it's ugly head in
quite some time so I'm not sure how big of a deal that it really is.

> Anyway, along these lines: there are still some files in our own demos
> directory, in both kicad proper and the lib repo, that have this
> problem. I was going to fix it myself but didn't have time to. Someone
> probably should do that before the release.

Which demo are you talking about?  I just opened every board file in the
kicad demo folder and they all opened without issue.