Re: cvpcb is gone?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 07:20:31PM +0200, Nick Østergaard wrote:
> The executable was explicitly removed recently. I don't rember the
> reasoning, but I guess Wayne can answer that question.

I fully agree with removing a standalone cvpcb since it seems that
finally we got rid of the cmp file (there is an 'hole' on the netlist
read dialog where you could choose between the netlist or the cmpfile).

This would also solve the quite serious bug happening when a new
component had the footprint defaulted to the one of a previously deleted
one (with the same reference). The footprint should stay only in the
schematic and in the netlist, the cmp file was only useful for
backannotation IIRC...

Since it seems (from the mailing list) that now cvpcb directly 'pumps'
the footprints to eeschema it's fine that it can only be called from
eeschema.

What I don't get is why it can't be called from a plain eeschema like
before...

I often have 3 or 4 instances of eeschema and/or pcbnew running at the
same time (ripped out all the "you are already running" confirmations,
BTW:P) and doing a lot of 'open schematic' for reference and copy/paste
(which IIRC you can't do when launched from the project manager). It's
also way faster to run an eeschema $FILE from the shell than opening the
manager (which is another window messing the screen), so I think it's
quite inconvenient to loose access to cvpcb in that way...

That aside, I actually only use cvpcb once or twice on a board (for
initial population), so as a workaround opening the schematic from the
project manager just these times is feasible :P I wonder however the
reason for not being able to work on a standalone eeschema.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl