Re: cvpcb is gone?

Le 23/07/2015 19:45, Lorenzo Marcantonio a écrit :
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 07:20:31PM +0200, Nick Østergaard wrote:
>> The executable was explicitly removed recently. I don't rember the
>> reasoning, but I guess Wayne can answer that question.
>
> I fully agree with removing a standalone cvpcb since it seems that
> finally we got rid of the cmp file (there is an 'hole' on the netlist
> read dialog where you could choose between the netlist or the cmpfile).
>
> This would also solve the quite serious bug happening when a new
> component had the footprint defaulted to the one of a previously deleted
> one (with the same reference). The footprint should stay only in the
> schematic and in the netlist, the cmp file was only useful for
> backannotation IIRC...
>
> Since it seems (from the mailing list) that now cvpcb directly 'pumps'
> the footprints to eeschema it's fine that it can only be called from
> eeschema.
>
> What I don't get is why it can't be called from a plain eeschema like
> before...
>
> I often have 3 or 4 instances of eeschema and/or pcbnew running at the
> same time (ripped out all the "you are already running" confirmations,
> BTW:P) and doing a lot of 'open schematic' for reference and copy/paste
> (which IIRC you can't do when launched from the project manager). It's
> also way faster to run an eeschema $FILE from the shell than opening the
> manager (which is another window messing the screen), so I think it's
> quite inconvenient to loose access to cvpcb in that way...
>
> That aside, I actually only use cvpcb once or twice on a board (for
> initial population), so as a workaround opening the schematic from the
> project manager just these times is feasible :P I wonder however the
> reason for not being able to work on a standalone eeschema.

There are more than one reason:

Cvpcb needs a project because it uses the fp lib table set inside a
project, which is not used by eeschema.

Exchanges between Eeschema/Cvpcb and Pcbnew (cross-probing) cannot be
made if there is more than on instance of each application.

Therefore, to allow exchanges, running Eeschema, Cvpcb and Pcbnew inside
the same application ( to allow communication between these editors) is
mandatory (and also to be able to run the footprint editor or the
footprint viewer from the schematic editor or the schematic component
editor).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS