Re: Stitching vias

Hi,

Thanks to Wayne for a tip. I guess i found right post also about this
script:
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg17819.html

Yes, i agree script is good thing also but most of the times you need to do
stitching manually. From manufacturing and electrical point of view it's
not cheap and overkill to automatically add 300 vias when all you need is
to stitch the edges of the board or sides of the HF traces. Massive
stitching is needed usually when good heat conduction is required and then
it's only around heat producing components.

So the idea of implementing manual vias does not interfere with script. I
uploaded a demo of what i have right now:
https://youtu.be/c4uwaKJOkO4

It doesn't need to go into main tree right now but it's so obvious feature
missing from KiCad that it should be done one day soon. There are tools to
draw circles, text and lines, so why shouldn't it be possible to add
arbitrary holes or vias. Doing vias by footprints is a workaround and very
inconvenient if you have many different sizes, plus footprint doesn't
automatically get the netname. Stitching with traces and then removing
traces is also like buying a whole dinner set when all you need is a knife.

BR,
Mikk