Re: Can we enable menu icons on OS X?

Yep, also note that the GTK people also tried to follow these OS X
guidelines, so I don't actually have icons on my desktop on linux, GTK
forces it off in some configurations.  But I think they have also
realised that they are actually useful. So this is not only on OS X.

I am too lazy to find some references on this for GTK, but if you are
interested you can ask google.