Export to Solidworks

Hello group,

I have been trying to export a 3D model of a populated PCB to Solidworks
and after a few days I want to ask you for help.

I've generated VRML files for each component and did an export in VRML
which I can open and see in FreeCAD correctly.

I need to interface with Mechanical Engineer that has their own Solidworks
model for the enclosure. He has been able to open the populated PCB on
Freecad as well. (To achieve this I had to use a text editor and modify all
the url entries on WRL file with an absolute path on his system containing
shapes3D folder, at least freecad does not seem to work with relative path)

What he was able to achieve so far is opening the empty PCB in solidworks
and load each individual component and placing manually on the board.

Is there any other way or tips you can provide? I've read about IDF and I
may go that route with the next design if it means easier interfacing with
Solidworks.

Thanks

Follow ups