wxFormBuilder and the future

Hi all,

It appears wxFormBuilder is, if not dead, not far from it. The evidence:

* No stable release in 4 years, and the last beta release was 13 months ago.
* A grand total of 13 commits in the last 12 months (current trunk is
r2205, r2192 was made on 1 August 2014). A number of these are buildsystem
/ release / changelog (!) updates.
* No developer responses on the mailing list, including to a message three
months ago [1] asking if the project was still active.
* No support for newer widgets. For example, the wxSpinCtrlDouble widget
added in wxWidgets 2.9.0 is not supported. I patched it to add this widget
back in April and posted the patch to both the mailing list and an existing
ticket from three years ago [2]. No response to that either.

We may have to start thinking about whether we continue with it from here,
or consider a move towards a different tool.

I realise any change like this isn't going to happen prior to the stable
release, and nor am I suggesting it should. But with the recent post to
this list about UI improvements, I think this is a highly related topic
which should be discussed as well.

There are a number of alternatives listed on the wxWidgets wiki [3]. Does
anybody have any experience with any of them? (Spoiler alert, I don't). Are
there any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

Regards
Blair

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/wxformbuilder/mailman/message/34100789/
[2] https://sourceforge.net/p/wxformbuilder/feature-requests/45/