Re: [Patch] Add gitlab support to github plugin

"A vendor neutral git API"
Yeah, a git executable client.

I'm not sure why it wasn't made to use a git client in the first place. I like the idea of KiCad being smart about retrieving the footprints from github, I'm just not sure why it needed to use the github APIs that only work with github. (Does it?) Seems to me that the repo system to use could easily be a list of git clone URLs

Like, I said, I have no stock in this myself, and I don't really know how it works currently. I am curious, though, why it wasn't chosen to work that way in the first place.