Re: DXF import behavior

Le 23/08/2015 09:18, Cirilo Bernardo a écrit :
> Recently a user was asking about aligning the origin of a DXF import to the
> pcbnew grid. I played with the import options a little in default and OpenGL
> views and found:
>
> 1. default: except for "center on page" which seems to place the DXF origin
> at the center of the page and aligned to the grid, the other import options
> don't make sense to me.
>
> 2. OpenGL: the different import options only seem to affect the point
> which is selected as the reference point for moving the DXF outline.
>
> In the first case I guess the user could always select "center on page",
> but what if the user doesn't want the outline centered on the page?
> In the second case while it is nice to set the reference point where you
> want, the user has no control of what the reference point is and most
> likely will be interested at placing the DXF origin at a specified point
> on the page. Since the location of the chosen reference point for moving
> the outline is not necessarily an integral number of grid divisions in
> X and Y relative to the DXF origin, it can be impossible to place the
> DXF origin where the user desires.
>
> So, for consistency and greater flexibility, what do people think about
> specifying the grid point at which to locate the DXF origin? We can
> remove the positioning options in the DXF import dialog and replace
> them with a dialog specifying UNIT (mm, inch) and X, Y position on the
> page. There may be no need to allow for the option to drag the
> outline immediately after the import as is currently done in OpenGL.
>
> - Cirilo

>From my point of view, MCAD tools and EDA tools are 2 different worlds.
So "asking about aligning the origin of a DXF import to the pcbnew grid"
make not really sense.
Moreover, Pcbnew has a lot of grids, and a Y axis reversed.

A dialog specifying UNIT (mm, inch) and X, Y position on the board of
the DXF origin makes more sense.

But it is not a greater flexibility.
Constraints to create an outline in Pcbnew and in a MCAD tool are very
different.
It could be just an other option.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS