Announcing The New Website

Hello KiCad developers

We are happy to announce a new website for KiCad, this instead of the
old website system which was using Confluence, that has proved very
unstable.

The goal of this new website is to be the go to place for official
KiCad information and should support some way of having regular KiCad
users contribute to the site, let that be fixing typing mistakes or
just improving the content in what ever way seems fit.

This time around we have taken a new approach, instead of using the
monster of confluence, we have choosen Hugo, a static site generator.
This should make sure that the requirements for the hosting server is
quite low, and should help increasing the availability of the site.
Although KiCad itself does not run on mobile devices (think
smartphones and the like) the website should be way more appealing on
theese platforms too.

I would like to thank especially Mark Roszko for helping me out with
actually developing the site and have done a quite substantial amount
of work in this regard. There are other people which has contributed
with different pieces of the site too, I will also thank them and I
will list their github usernames here for reference. The list is
listed approximately with the amount of changes the person has
contribuated with. Largest ammount of work contributed on top.

Thor-Arne
Caerbannog
tfboy
cpavlina
reportingsjr
adamwolf
mangelajo
carycode
marcos-paltatech

The site still needs some fixes here and there, and new people are
still contributing, but I choose to ask Ajo to enable it now, since it
is mostly done and the confluence site has had something in the order
of 95% downtime. A site in progress is way better than a site down.

Contributions are made on https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-website/

I also thank various people for their general feedback, that I have
received and tried to take into account when appropiate.

Regards
Nick Østergaard

Follow ups