Re: Pcbnew auxiliary tool bar.

On 8/27/2015 2:32 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 27/08/2015 08:16, Lorenzo Marcantonio a écrit :
>> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 22:19:17 +0200, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>> Good question Peter. Does someone want to field this? I didn't change
>>> this code so I cannot answer why Pcbnew will no longer allow you to
>>> change trace widths by selecting an alternate width from the combobox.
>>> You can switch to the gal canvas and use the trace properties dialog
>>> but in the legacy canvas, this feature doesn't exist. :(.
>>
>> Ouch. Very very very not fun.
>>
>> That's inacceptable for power designs... I have boards where I go around
>> with 22mm traces (yes, *so* much current, and 70µm of copper :D) and
>> then stubs out with smaller ones to feed parts. Of course it's a royal
>> PITA to evaluate hot spots so a FLIR cam is a must for these...
>>
>> Less extreme use case: feed bypass caps with a moderately big track
>> (wide as the plane via) and then thin out to feed the IC.
>>
>> IIRC the previous behaviour was quite useful and sufficient, you had the
>> 'netlist value' as a default slot (marked with *) and an override for
>> specific widths. And hotkeys too (I found them by mistake :P)
>>
>> We should consider a rollback/merge up or whatever bzr call the
>> operation to restore the functionality... or something changed so that
>> is no more possible to have it without a lot of work?
>>

> I don't understand what you mean.
>
> What it the "previous behavior" and what functionality do you want to
> restore ?

JP,

At one time, all of the defined trace widths (before net classes were
implemented) would show up in the track width combobox.  You could
select any width from the list and that would be the width used to
create new tracks or change an existing track width.  Now only the track
width of the last selected track shows up in the combobox (see attached
image).  Why even have a combobox when there is nothing to select or am
I missing something here?  What information is supposed to be displayed
in the track width and via diameter comboboxes?  I wrongly assumed it
was a list of widths and diameters for every defined net class (in this
example there should be three entries: default, GND, and GND_WIDE) which
is obviously not the case.  If track width combobox only displays the
currently selected track information, why bother?  This information is
already displayed in the message panel.  Yes, I realize I can switch to
gal and change the track width on the on the fly but this is an annoying
extra step.

I'm not asking for any changes.  I'm trying to determine what is the
expected behavior and does this make sense.  If it does not make sense,
then we should define the expected behavior and then make the
appropriate changes.

Cheers,

Wayne